Our houses are a source of peace, accomplishment, and comfort for us. For something which is so near and dear to us we would definitely like it to be well decorated and presentable. Part of making your house aesthetically pleasing is placing beautiful rugs and carpets all around the house. Whether they represent the conventional cultures or the new modern style you fit them in your house to enhance their outlook.
While you are involved in this beautification process the germs (read children) in your house make sure that they lose their prime youth and look old and dirty. This means your whole plan of making your house the perfect masterpiece is down the drain. Because we all know how expensive professional cleaners are and some stains are just not removable.
However, the matter of the fact is that the muddy footprints, tea, coffee and milk, beer, pasta pizza are all a part of your daily routine and there is no way you can eliminate their use from your life. Even if you don’t have kids or pets you are bound to have at least one spillage of the following items. So you spent long hours and money to find the best carpet cleaners and solutions to wipe your carpet clean, but nothing seems to work on these stubborn stains.
So today we will find out the best ways to remove these persistent enemy’s in the form of stains from our carpets permanently! But we need to understand some of the basic requirements of carpet cleaning like Blot and dab don’t apply pressure or scrub, don’t let the scrubbing ruin carpets fibers and the pressure to soak more of whatever was spilled in the first place.
First of all, let’s look at some stain removers according to the type of the carpets you’re dealing with and then we will move on to some general DIYs and hacks.
Best Stain Removers according to the Carpet type
- Synthetic Carpets
These form the larger part of the carpet market that’s why it has to be discussed before anything else. Synthetic fibers are man-made and have become widely used due to the lower price and greater durability of these carpets. Let’s get to the important part now! You can make these carpet cleaning solutions with items already available at home.
- Solvent Solution; Use an oil solvent or a nail polish remover.
- Detergent solution; Just mix a quarter of liquid dishwashing soap into one cup of lukewarm water. You can use this solution to remove food and drink stains from your carpets.
- Vinegar Solution; Plain-old one cup of vinegar and two cups of water.
Just be sure that you never directly pour these solutions on your carpet to get rid of the stains. Dip a simple white cloth into the DIY and apply it to the stain only.
- Natural-Fiber Carpets
Natural fiber carpets can be made from anything, from wool to plant fibers and weirdly enough the husk of the coconut. The following are the solutions that can be used on these carpets.
- Ammonia solution; Half cup lukewarm water and one tablespoon of clear house-held ammonia. You’re good to go!
- Vinegar Solution; a Quarter cup of vinegar and the same amount of water and we are done!
- Detergent Solution; One teaspoon of dishwasher liquid into a cup of lukewarm water. You can use this on tea, coffee and beer stains to remove them easily.
- Solvent solution; similar to the one previously used for synthetic carpets.
These are the perfect stain removing solutions that you can make at home and effectively remove stains on your favorite carpets. Now let’s discuss some more hacks to get rid of these stains quickly.
- Dry Cleaning Fluid; this may be one of the weirdest suggestions but I’m not kidding. Dry cleaning fluid works wonders on oil stains and I’m sure everyone has this available in their laundry! It will miraculously remove lipstick, butter, and other unwanted oil fingerprints from your man child. Be sure to blot the oily surface before applying this fluid.
- Ice cubes; just some H2O to get you rid of the sticky bubble gum on the carpet. Put the ice cube in a plastic bag and place it on the gum. This way it will freeze and you can scrape it off using a simple knife.
- Baking Soda; known to get us out of many jams like yellow teeth, this lifesaver is also a killer to bodily fluids. This is the best choice to clean vomit or urine. First, wipe off whatever you can and then apply this miracle maker. Pour baking soda over the affected area and let it sit until it is completely dry and vacuum to see the final results. Baking soda is also an effective remover of greasy stains if combined with salt. Mix equal parts of both the ingredients and rub them with a stiff brush. Let it sit for 4-5 hours before vacuuming up the mixture. This will completely remove the stain. Additionally, it will sanitize it and make it completely mess-free. This is why they are also used for eradicating the carpet of foul smells.
- Corn Starch and Milk; It’s funny how we are just spilling more stuff to get rid of the previous miscreants but alas. Any house is bound to have ink stains whether there are adults or children so we found you the perfect hack. Make a paste out of the two ingredients and pour it on the problem area. Let it dry for a few hours then vacuum to reveal your clean carpet.
- Borax; Dampen the affected area and then get working with borax. Let it dry and vacuum or blot with vinegar and soapy water and let dry.
- Hydrogen Peroxide; a stain has made a magical appearance and you can’t seem to figure out who the culprit is or what class of offenders does the stain belongs to? Well, we got you covered. Mix a teaspoon of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide with a little cream of tartar or a dab of non-gel toothpaste. Rub this witchy concoction on the stain with a cloth and rinse. Poof! Whatever it was, is now gone!
These are some interesting items that are usually present in our house but we never really think of using them as stain removers but the secrets have been revealed and carpets will be saved from this day on!
Go ahead and remove those adamant and bull-headed stains with these easy hacks!