Dyson is currently one the most influential vacuum manufacturers all over the world, and its devices are known for being reliable and high-quality. It offers a wide range of products, including cordless stick vacuum cleaners, upright vacuum cleaners, canister vacuum cleaners, and handheld vacuum cleaners.
Regarding handheld vacuum cleaners, Dyson is widely known for its V7 models, among which Dyson V7 Trigger vacuum is the most acquired by the public. The V7 Trigger model is known for its versatility, mobility, powerful suction force, and lightness
Dyson V7 Technical specifications and general features
- Height: 8.11 inches
- Length: 12.45 inches
- Width: 5.17 inches
- Weight: 3.77 lbs.
- Battery charge time: 3.5 hours
- Motor rotation: up to 107 rpm (revolutions per minute)
- Cyclone Technology (2 Tier Radial cyclones)
- Washable filter
- Dyson digital motor V7
- Battery life (on Powerful mode): up to 30 minutes
- Battery life (on MAX mode): up to 6 minutes
- Hygienic bin emptying
- Three additional tools and accessories (mini motorhead, combination tool, and crevice tool)
- Mini motorhead with a brush bar that contains more than 3,900 stiff bristles
- Combination tool with two different, easily switchable, modes
- Two power modes (MAX and Powerful)
- Suction power (on Powerful mode): 28 air Watts
- Suction power (on MAX mode): 100 air Watts
- Easy to maneuver, completely portable, and versatile
- 2-year warranty
- It can capture microscopic particles as small as 0.5 microns
What the users say about the V7
According to user reviews, this product might be a good addition if you already have a full-sized vacuum and just need a complement for rapidly cleaning small areas. As far as handheld vacuums go, the Dyson V7 Trigger model seems to be a good product, although there are a few complaints about the battery duration.
- It’s regarded as a highly versatile vacuum cleaner.
This is one of the most beloved features among the consumers. Due to its design, high mobility and easiness to maneuver, Dyson’s V7 Trigger allows consumers to clean multiple surfaces and spaces, ranging from bedroom furniture and sofa cushions, to cars or even boats.
- It’s lightweight and compact.
These features allow easy use and storage of the device (although a few user reviews report that it probably needs a wall mount to allow for better storage).
- It has a friendly design and is easy to clean.
- It seems to be effective in cleaning multiple types of surfaces.
Especially if you have the extra accessories, this V7 model is effective in cleaning virtually all types of small surfaces and spills.
- It includes several different tools and accessories, which are reportedly easy to assemble and remove.
Along with its light weight and friendly design, the fact that Dyson offers different accessories and tools contributes to the V7 Trigger’s versatility and easiness to use. Although V7 has a Car + Boat model, users often use the V7 Trigger in tasks such as cleaning the car seat or carpets, and the reports are very positive.
Besides, some users refer to the fact that it works well with accessories designed for the V8 model (such as the extension wand and soft roller head), but not all user reviews are positive, so this is a somewhat controversial matter.
- It has a powerful motor and high suction power, as well as 2 adjustable settings for suction power (MAX and Powerful).
Users report that this vacuum is great for cleaning difficult places like staircases or furniture crevices, and pet owners often compliment this vacuum’s ability to effectively clean pet hair.
The suction power is adjustable by the user and includes two different options. There is the “Powerful” mode, which is great for cleaning hard surfaces, bigger residues, or car seats, and one “MAX” mode, designed for cleaning deep crevasses and carpets.
- It has a washable filter, eliminating the need of having to buy replacement ones.
This removes the need to constantly buy and replace new filters, but keep in mind that, for hygiene and health reasons (as well as to maintain the integrity of the vacuum), it’s always advisable to replace the filters from time to time.
- The dust compartment is transparent.
This feature allows you to easily see when it needs emptying.
- It’s bagless.
There’s no need to constantly buy and replace bags.
- The price
Dyson products are not usually what you might consider “affordable”, so keep this in mind.
- This vacuum is composed of mainly plastic parts
This act raises some concerns regarding its durability. Also, there a few reports that the vacuums’ battery was faulty upon purchasing, or that it failed after only a few short months of use.
- Some buyers complain about receiving defective products and poor customer support.
Therefore, if you are looking to purchase this product, make sure you do thorough research and find a reliable supplier and/or distributor. Also, make sure the warranty time is guaranteed; although Dyson advocates the existence of a 2-year warranty, not at all suppliers enforce this, so you might have a bad experience if you’re not careful.
- Although Dyson advertises the V7 Trigger as having “up to 30 minutes of powerful suction”, the battery life time seems to be shorter than expected.
Reports state that the battery doesn’t last for 30 minutes, sometimes not even on “Powerful” mode. Also, some users refer they could only use the vacuum on MAX for around 5-10 minutes before the battery ran out.
To prevent this, if you buy one, make sure you recharge it when you’re not using it. Also, it’s probably best not to use it on “MAX” mode every time, since it consumes the battery much faster.
- It requires constant pressure on the trigger while working.
Users report that they need to constantly keep pushing the START button while vacuuming. Although this is a good feature to have in this type of vacuum, since it allows for battery saving when you’ re not actually using it, this might raise some issues among specific consumers. For example, we advise people with arthritis or hand problems to consider whether this would be an issue or not, before buying a Trigger V7 model.
- A few users complain it’s louder than expected.
- Many users report it’s a difficult process to open and empty the dust compartment.
According to a few user reviews, the opening of the dust compartment is not intuitive and very often it’s hard to empty it without making a mess.
- It doesn’t include a docking station (also referred to as wall mount)
Some users report that, since the model doesn’t include a docking station, it makes it harder to store and intuitively reach.
- There are a few complaints regarding the filter which, according to some users, clogs very easily.
Overall, Dyson V7 Trigger is an efficient and versatile handheld vacuum (especially if you use the extra attachments and tools), very efficient to clean small areas, surfaces and crevices that are usually hard to reach. Users point out that it’s great to clean small messes and pick up small debris or pet hairs, even from the most unreachable places, even on “normal” mode (referred by Dyson as “Powerful” mode).
Also, the fact that it’s cordless allows for greater mobility. However, the battery life time might be an issue if you’re looking to spend more than 30 minutes vacuuming; especially on the higher power suction mode (Dyson calls it “MAX” mode), the battery doesn’t last very long and that might be a little frustrating to handle.
Compared to the Dyson V8 and V10 models, the Trigger V7 model is slightly less powerful, but it’s still a powerful handheld vacuum. In fact, the V7 model was designed as an intermediary option that combines features of both the V6 and V8 models, while being slightly more affordable. Also, and when compared to the V8 model, the V7 requires less charge time (V8 needs about 5 hours to fully charge, while V7 requires around 3.5 hours).
Reportedly, it’s a bit heavier than the V6 model, but it provides the same versatility, the dust compartment is easier to empty (which is one the major complaints that V6 users usually express), and the battery lasts slightly longer (V6’s battery life is usually around 20 minutes, while V7 has around 30 minutes, if on “Powerful” suction mode).
If you can’t afford the V8 or V10 models but really want a Dyson, or if you already have a full-sized vacuum at home and just need a handy complement, Trigger V7 might be a good option. However, if you’re looking for an everyday vacuum to use around the house several times a day, this might not be the best model for you. Its low battery time, high charging time, and small heads will make the lengthy cleaning tasks very hard. For cleaning small or hard to reach surfaces, spills, car seats, carpets, pillows, or furniture, this model will probably do the job. Just remember not to use it on “MAX” mode all the time, since the battery will probably wear out extremely fast.